Sunday, July 6, 2014

Rest

Needed? Don't get enough of it? Aaahhh, sounds delightful? Many ideas pop into our mind when we think of rest. Sometimes rest is voluntary; other times it is imposed upon us. Either way, rest is important-for people big and small. In Genesis 2:2 we learn that on the seventh day God rested from all his work.

This time of year finds many of us on vacation. At one time (probably when I was a kid), I equated vacation with rest. Seeing new places, eating more than my share of junk food, staying up later than usual-carefree and restful (even if I was exhausted and fell into bed at the day's end).

Presently, I believe vacations can be restful. However, they can prove to be stressful and exhausting, with only a rare occurrence of rest thrown in.

Many factors contribute to the degree of rest one experiences on vacation. Recently, most of my immediate family spent time on the Colorado River for a three-day weekend. Our group consisted of extended family, a generous couple who hosted all of us, as well as a half dozen young adults. We had opportunities to float down the river, ride Sea Doos and Rhinos as well as stay cool with ping pong, puzzles and food, of course.

The larger the group, the longer it takes to move. The initial call to action occurs and then time is spent assembling people, items, drinks, and other needed accessories. This was not stressful for me, but it did stretch three of my children, who were rearing to go early in the morning.

My form of rest resulted in illness. I spent the last day and-a-half in my room, feeling quite awful. Not the rest I envisioned.

This weekend we find ourselves in Reno for a friend's wedding. The difference here is we have friends we want to visit and the challenge is getting everyone where they want to go. When the kids were younger, vacations to places we previously lived consisted of all of us seeing people at one time. This has changed as they have grown and maintained relationships with different people. Yet, it is restful-our group is smaller; we aren't gathering gear for an event (except towels for Sand Harbor).

The most important form of rest is in our spirit. Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:28-29, "“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls". Such comfort comes from knowing I am not alone; that whatever challenges I face, my God is with me, with open arms, waiting for me to cast all my anxiety on him because he cares for me (1 Peter 5:7).

I encourage you to leave your burdens at his feet. Our God loves us extravagantly, and knows us intimately. His desire is that we allow him to be first in our lives, surrendering our very lives, which includes our schedules, finances, relationships, and time, to him. In that we will find rest. May the words of Psalm 139 bring you encouragement-

You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.  Psalm 139:1-6


Pattie

1 comment:

  1. Tom and I just embarked on a new journey involving honoring the Sabbath, which we'd gotten away from and thus weren't creating ample time to rest our bodies, refocus our attention, and remember all our loving Father has done for us. As new parents we've realized how essential REST is these days. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete