Sunday, July 20, 2014

Surrender

Surrender

Vulnerability is scary-writing your thoughts, emotions, beliefs on a public forum for all to see. Yikes!

Yet recently, the Lord has reaffirmed to me that he is all about relationships-first and foremost, he desires relationship with us. Second, he cares about our relationships with others. John 13:34 says, " A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." Because he is wise and knows our human nature intimately, he accepts us where we are at when we say yes to his call, surrendering our lives to him. However, he does not leave us there.A few verses that pop out to me are:

 1 Peter 1:15-16: But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;  for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
Romans 6: 18-19: You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.  I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness.
Hebrews 12:14:  Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.

I love how the Lord brings us into new seasons, places burdens upon our hearts. Holiness seems to be what he is impressing upon me presently. I heard a man speak on holiness last night. One thing has remained with me-"We are set apart unto God; not only separated from sin, but also set apart so we can give him everything. God requires 100% from us because he gave 100%, his own son, for us!"  

When we think of holiness, often a list of do's and don'ts come to mind. In some aspects of life, people expect and accept it. When on a sports team, one must meet requirements as well as follow the rules, the underlying thought being the athlete's and team's well-being. 

When it comes to spiritual matters. however, people do not like being told what to do and what not to do. Personally, I think our flesh cringes at the idea of obedience, submission and surrender. Only when we know the character of God and the heart of his son Jesus can we surrender, knowing everything is related to his love for us. The bible is God's love story to us. He created us; he knows us; he loves us. The commands and warnings he gives us are because of his love for us. The things he warns us about are not good for us.

After his relationship with us, God cares about our relationship with others. In fact,  he created the institution of the family. Thankfully, through his word and his Spirit he provides us with the tools to love each other, which includes the children he has given us.

No matter the stage of parenting, I need Jesus. I cannot lean on my own understanding (Prov. 3:5-6). Knowing his Holy Spirit resides in me gives me  assurance and hope.  No matter my former ways, I can choose to put on the full armor of God (Eph. 6:10-17). I can trust that The Lord will work through me, empowering me to exhibit  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control toward my children. Again, surrender is the key. 
I need to trust his will for my day, giving him my schedule, lists and time.

I challenge you to surrender those areas you may be holding on to closely. I guarantee he will multiply your time, allowing you to accomplish all he has for you each day. This is easier said than done (until we remember he loves, loves, loves us). Like anything else, it takes practice. I encourage you to seek the Lord regarding your present circumstances.

He really will show you how to do the difficult with joy so you can reflect him to your children.




1 comment:

  1. I just came back to this one today and as it turns out, this it's EXACTLY what I needed to read before I begin the hustle and bustle again this morning. Thank you for offering yourself for the building up of the Body! I would not want to do life without you, Pattie. Ever.

    ReplyDelete