Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sacrifice

Sacrifice

As I begin to write, doubt fills my mind-people want inspiring, hopeful messages; there is enough tragedy out there, don't add to it.

Yet I am compelled to share what burdens my heart in the past few weeks. A seventeen year old's life no longer due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound; a twenty year old college student whose life ended when he jumped off a cliff. A middle aged man who battled alcoholism ended his life by shooting himself; receiving a phone call from a friend who needs to get away with her two sons, as her husband deals with his alcoholism.

So much pain, darkness, and hopelessness permeates our world. We know from scripture that the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy (John 10:10). By many accounts, he appears to be succeeding. One needs only to read a few pages of a newspaper or listen at the top of the hour on the radio to learn of the most recent tragedies.

Despite the way our world appears, I propose to you another view: there is hope, and it comes from the giver of life, Jesus. The remainder of verse ten as well as eleven states, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep".

Walking with Jesus does not protect one from hardships. Actually, we can count 
on challenges as John 16:33 states, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world".

Although the above words paint a grim picture, I have hope, joy, and contentment. Where does one begin with such a vast, complex topic? There are questions I will not have answered until I meet Jesus in heaven-why do children die tragic deaths? How old is the earth? Why do people married over a half century have to continue living when their lifelong spouse dies? Wouldn't it be better for both if they died at the same time? The list is quite long.

Having the answers to those questions, however,  would not affect my day-to-
day life. I am learning an even greater dependence upon my Lord; as my husband and I parent four, soon to be five, teenagers, I need advice, patience, 
wisdom, humor to guide them into young adulthood.When I am frustrated, sick, anxious, I go to him because he tells me to cast my cares upon him because he cares for me (1 Peter 5:7). When a huge expense occurs, I pray and ask him for guidance. As we moved to a new area, he again provided an amazing church and homeschool community.

I could brag on Jesus all day long. I have learned that walking any day with him, no matter the challenges it presents, is infinitely better than relying on my own understanding (Prov. 3:5-6). 

The key to this intimacy is twofold: knowing him and believing who I am because of him.

There are many ways and recommendations about how to draw close to God. A "formula" does not exist. Having a relationship with Jesus involves spending time with him, just as it does with relationships on earth. Some of the things that have become part of my rhythm (some more than others) over the years include worshiping him through song (he does not care I am off tune :), reading his word, talking to him throughout the day (in the car, while exercising, during strained moments with my husband or children), fasting, serving him (either at church or in my community or neighborhood), and enjoying his creation (skiing, hiking, hanging at the park).

It has taken me much longer to believe who I am because of him and his sacrifice.  The experiences of our childhood significantly impact our view of 
our God. This in itself is its own post. I will say that it takes a reprogramming of our minds, sometimes intense prayer to break strongholds and lies,  as well 
as knowing the word and the promises and truths in it. When Jesus died on the cross, he took ALL my sins, past, present, and future, and paid the price so I could spend eternity with him. When I accepted him as my Lord and Savior, I became righteous-not because of anything I did, but because of what he did for me. 

One of the things that has stuck with me since my first Beth Moore bible study, Believing God, is the following- "I am blessed, chosen, adopted; accepted, redeemed, forgiven. I'm believing God". You would be surprised how often that phrase comes to mind. 

The enemy would have me believe any variety of lies that keep me from 
experiencing joy and life. It is a spiritual battle (Ephesians 6:12) and fortunately for me, and any follower of Jesus, we have a strategy (Hebrews 4:12 states, "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart").

So how does all this tie in to parenting our little ones? Ask the Lord to show you how to convey their identity in him, appropriate to their age and stage. Do not overlook the importance of daily reading the bible with/to them. Share your God stories with them. Let them hear you praying and praising the Lord. Play worship music at home or while in the car. Serve The Lord together (helping someone move, bringing a meal to someone sick or who just had a baby). The Lord will show you because it is his heart and will that your children know and follow him.

Be encouraged. Seek him first and he will guide you and grow you to be more like him. Jesus doesn't require perfection, but he does ask us to live a life surrendered to him, a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1-2).




No comments:

Post a Comment