Friday, June 20, 2014

Learn to Overlook

Learn to Overlook

When using a magnifying glass (or reading glasses, if that is the season you are experiencing :), things appear larger than they are in reality. The Lord has gently revealed to me that I need an updated prescription.

Proverbs 19:11 states, "A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense". The first part of this verse sounds doable. The rest of it, however, is difficult for me to swallow (honestly, gag is a more appropriate word here). 

In case I needed further confirmation, upon reading one of my favorite blogs, I Take Joy, I came across this gem: "Do not point out every single one of your children’s flaws.  If God followed me around all day long correcting me, I wouldn’t want to be a Christian" (See more at: http://www.itakejoy.com).

Ouch!

I love our Lord's timing. This was revealed to me this morning, after having spent an evening out with my family. These days, it isn't often all (or even most) of us are at,home or in the car together. While eating dinner, we began discussing our vacation this summer to the state of Washington. We will be driving there, (approximately eighteen hours) and that is causing some of us angst. 


Always ready for adventure, I wanted to visit a coffee shop we have not yet tried. Some were game and others were coerced to join us. Our discussion about vacation continued in the car.  Actually, it centered around a great deal of 
complaining by one of my children-"It's going to be awful; we can't be in the car that long together; we can't let ---- drive".

By the time we returned home, I was frustrated in general, and angry, specifically, with one child. I replayed the evening over in my mind and convinced myself my anger was justified. I had decided I was taking away some electronics to show that child there are consequences for bad attitudes.


This morning The Lord worked in my heart to show me I was the one with the 
bad attitude. Was there some attitude with this child? Yes. Should there be consequences for that? Yes. However, the above verse in Proverbs stood out to me from all the rest in that chapter. I asked myself how often do I overlook an offense. Not many, if I am honest. One of my favorite pastors says, "What scriptures are you currently ignoring to continue living the lifestyle you are living?"

Notice that the scripture uses the word "glory" rather than "credit" to describe  the effect of overlooking an offense. Interesting that the word "glory" remains constant in the ESV, New American Standard, as well as the King James Version. Glory brings with it such a depth that isn't found with the word credit. 


I see the connection between wisdom, patience, and glory. Psalm 111:10 states, "The fear of The Lord is the beginning of wisdom". Galatians 5:22 states, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control." Our final piece is the verse which prompted this post: "A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense."

The Lord also brought Romans 2:4 to mind-"Or do you show contempt for the 

riches of his kindness, tolerance, and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?" For many years, one of my struggles has been understanding the concept of grace. That in itself is such a full, complex issue deserving of its own post.

When I read the bible, I see the one and only perfect parent. God is loving, kind, compassionate, and merciful. He welcomes me with open arms, and his mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:23). Yet, when needed, he disciplines me- Hebrews 11:5-6 “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,  and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because The Lord disciplines the one he loves". Upon careful examination, my only right response to my children is to parent them as the Lord parents me-lovingly, graciously. 

That is the prescription I need to see clearly.

Pattie    


No comments:

Post a Comment