Saturday, June 14, 2014

Treasures on the Couch

Treasures from the Couch

 On Memorial Day, I was blessed with time with my nieces' kids (great-nephews?) while they dashed to Target sans children (flashback-oh! how freeing it was for me to go to the store! dentist! even yearly doctor's visits alone).

Seizing to capitalize on this precious moment, I retrieved some of my favorite picture books from our bookcase and eagerly began reading aloud The Very Busy Spider, A Pocket for Cordoroy, and a Little Critter book, Just Me and My Mom.

I told my daughter I needed to exert self-control and not allow myself to tear up right there on the couch! When we finished reading, the boys leapt off the couch onto their next adventure with my kids.

That moment blessed my day and remained with me-so many warm memories rush to mind related to this valuable, cozy, love-bank-depositing experience of reading to our children. 

As I observe parents with their little ones today, I see a myriad of electronic devices used to entertain these precious kiddos. It is a common occurrence to hear, "Mom, can I use your phone?" if the child doesn't already have their own. More often than not, iPads, rather than books, are given on short drives in the 
car, in the waiting room at doctor's visits, or while strolling through the grocery store.

There is a time and place for everything, and I am sure studies exist which support, or at least do not disparage the use of electronics in our daily lives. Although some of my children would heartily disagree, I do see their place and even embrace the convenience of having a computer at fingers' length away (such as when I'm driving around vast southern California highways).

However, there is no replacement for a loving parent. Nobody will love your child as much as you do. As entertaining as television and electronic games can be, they are not you. There is a difference between my son playing Gravity Guy 2 on my phone and us playing war with cards or grabbing those around for a quick round of Guesstures.

I encourage you to make reading aloud (or together if your child is at that stage) a daily part of your routine. Snuggling on the couch before nap time, reading, again, before bed your child's favorite story, or relaxing on a blanket while under a shady tree at the park, all do much to build intimacy between you and your child.

You would think that my reading aloud days are finished. Emphatically, I say, "No!" I still read aloud the bible to my youngest, and since we homeschool I have daily opportunities to build more treasures on the couch.

Pattie

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie. Looking forward to seeing all of you in August.

      Delete
  2. This is one of our biggest struggles right now! We are a family mostly unplugged (basic cable, no game consoles, no tablets or phones for kids) but surrounded by kids who have every device imaginable. It's almost a daily struggle. Please pray for guidance as we seek God's wisdom on this. We don't want the kids hiding under a rock but I kinda don't want to do stuff based on peer pressure, you know? Love you mama, miss you guys so so much :(

    ReplyDelete