Monday, March 9, 2015

What's your State of Rest?



By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Gen. 2:2

The fear of the Lord leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by trouble. Prov. 19:23

Spending time this past weekend at the foothills of the San Bernadino Mountains, surrounded by peace and God's amazing creation, prompted me to write about rest.

Much has been pondered, discussed and written about this concept which tends to elude us in our fast-driven, technology-based culture. I admit upfront I am not writing as someone who has overcome this challenge in my life. I'm laughing as I write this, as my dear friends know I am currently experiencing a season in which I awake during the middle of the night and cannot fall back to sleep. This results in my falling asleep at the most i opportune times, such as this 
weekend during an "untalent" show at a weekend retreat-snoring to 
boot!

What comes to mind when you read the word rest? Physical? Mental? Spiritual? All of the above are part of us, and in order to function and live significant lives, we need to intentionally incorporate practices that result in a rested mind, body, and soul.

 I am not addressing the mind and body aspects, as most of us are aware of, even if we do not practice disciplines that aid us in a healthy, rested body and clear mind.

Spiritual rest, however, is as important, I would argue-the most 
important aspect of a rested person. We know God instituted the Sabbath as a day of rest (Gen 2:2). We also know that everything 
"went to pot", as my darling daughter would say, after the Fall (Gen 3). We also know Jesus came first and foremost to save us from our sin, taking our place on the cross, in order that we could spend eternity with the Father; he also came to give us life-" I have come that they may have life, and Have it to the full" (John 10:10). He also gives us another reason for his coming in Matthew 11:28, " Come to me all you who are weary, and I will give you rest".

I challenge us to spend a few moments reflecting on our current 
state of restful or unrestfulness. If you are experiencing anxiety, fear, depression, or hopelessness, I implore you to seek the Lord 
regarding your lack of spiritual rest. The Holy Spirit plays many roles, one of which is comforter. Will you go to him, fully surrendered, 
desperate, even, and allow him to minister, guide and direct you to rest-in Him, on Him, and through Him?

Blessings
Pattie








No comments:

Post a Comment